CHILTERN WONDERLAND



THE INAUGURAL CHILTERN WONDERLAND IS A 50 MILE SINGLE LOOP AROUND THE BEAUTIFUL CHILTERN COUNTRYSIDE. THE ROUTE TAKES IN 5800FT OF CLIMB AND VISITS PICTURESQUE VILLAGES, BURSTING WITH HISTORY, FEATURING LOCATIONS MADE FAMOUS BY BRITISH FILM & TELEVISION. THIS EVENT IS RACE 3 IN THE 50 MILE 2016 GRAND SLAM.
-Centurion Running 


After finishing a 12hr shift at work and checking the roads to Reading, I decide to stay over in Horsham at the parents. I had paid a saver rate at the Premier Inn Caversham Bridge, but would rather the good night sleep, than sat hours in traffic. Then leave early morning for Goring-On-Thames.



It takes 1hr 35min to reach my destination without any problems. I park further down a side street as the carpark I am familiar with is already full by 8am.




I catch up with the friendly Louise at the kit check, then collect my race number. I have already found Marina and her sister Max. 

Finish bag dropped in I can then relax and catch up with Tim, John, Nick, Kevin and Sharon. All 50 Grand Slammers!




After the race briefing we all meet at the Goring and Streatley Bridge,  where the route will first follow the Thames Path towards Wallingford. 



The Autumn 100 is in four weeks time, so I didn't want to use today as an A race of mine. I have done some extra overtime the past few weeks, so do not feel my body is rested enough to go out hard. 

I am going on feel today and focusing on the markers in the hope of staying on the route. I have not practiced any of this new course. 



By 9am sharp we all run along the narrow tow path, bottle neck through the gates until reaching the open grass along the river bank. 

I chat with John the first few miles and stay close by to him, until I soon realise he has dropped back behind me...



Once through Pangbourne and onto some fast and flat roads, John is no longer nearby. I am feeling fresher in the legs than I thought, so just go with it. 

I try to stay a comfortable 8:30min/mile pace where I can and power walk the hilly sections.



10 miles flies past and I reach the first checkpoint in the village of Tokers Green.

I use my carry cup for a few cups of water and no need to fuel on anything just yet, so I make for a quick in and out. 

All the other runners seem to be doing this also, as already plenty have overtook me...

Sonning Common

At checkpoint two in Bix

I can hear my name being called from up ahead. Once I can see closer to the checkpoint I recognise Steve and Tina. They both came out from the way home on holiday to support and see us! 

I am so chuffed to see them...

Alma is part of the team here. I knew she would be at one of the checkpoints but wasn't sure which. It is always good to get a hug and warm welcome.

More Woodlands

I refill my water and have a few nuts before thanking Alma and the team. I hug the Amiets and then go on my way again.

Following the tape and another footpath






Heading to Turville


Starting the big climb 24 miles in. 


Still smiling at the top and a warm welcone from Steve March (Photographer)



Christmas Common


Heading to Grims Ditch



Finished in 22nd Place 8:28:39



My Close Up



Ranking From Checkpoints Two, Three and Four



The Finishing Tee, The Bling and Race Bib



Leader Board Results


Results Board


The Impressive Elevation Climbs




The Route


John Fitzgerald Finishes in 9:51:21 in 63rd



 
Marina Bullivant Finishes in 10:17:54 in 77th 


Sharon Dickson Finishes in 10:19:19 in 78th




UltraLuke

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments here. I would like to encourage discussion on running, training and nutrition. Luke